To create a basic CSV, you need to include a minimum of three fields: Date | Amount | Description.
- Column A – Date
– Use the date format dd/mm/yyyy
- Column B – Amount (cells should be formatted as Number to 2 decimal places)
– Transactions for money paid out of the bank account should have minus signs in front of them (-) and transactions for money coming into the bank account in should not have minus signs in front of them
- Column C – Description
- Make sure your date format is dd/mm/yyyy
- Make sure you have used a single amounts column to contain both money paid out and money paid in
- Make sure there are no commas in your amounts columns
- Make sure you haven’t included any quote marks (“)
- Make sure each description is on a single line with no carriage returns
You may download a sample CSV file in Excel by clicking the link below. The sample file already has some example data in it so as to give you a preview on how it should be done. Fast and efficient can be accomplished with just such an Excel file. You may these files through our contact page for bookkeeping – easy format and no fuss! No software required and you get your accounting records in a proper trail.