King David is a man after God’s heart. He had it in his heart to build a house as a place of rest for the ark of the covenant of the Lord. In 1 Chronicles 29, the passage displayed the heart of King David – to worship God. His devotion in building the temple of God demonstrated a clear motive; it is NOT to build a temple for man but for the Lord God. The Lord had made it clear that King David would not be the one to build this temple but that his son, King Solomon would be tasked with this responsibility.
In 1 Chronicles 29:3, King David give his personal treasures to building the temple of God and that it is over and above everything that he had! And then he put the challenge to the people in verse 5: “Now, who is willing to consecrate themselves to the Lord today?” It is interesting in how he put forth this challenge, probably quite unusual in terms of how one would usually put it across when one tries to do fund-raising in the modern context. The amazing thing is that when we read on, we could see how the people responded to King David’s challenge. They gave freely and wholeheartedly to the Lord and because of this response, Israel rejoiced greatly.
As we move further down the passage, King David said in verse 14: “But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand.”
Many Christians today misunderstand the idea of tithing. They often think of it as giving a tenth from “their own” property to God. However, in reality it is God that has done the giving to us, and claims the return of only 10% of His own property. Tithing is not taking a tenth of our own money and giving it to God, but it is returning a tenth of what was already His to begin with. Church as we come before Him today,
- Are we willing to consecrate ourselves to the Lord today?
- Do we understand the fact that all that we have today actually comes from Him?
- Do we realize that our giving today is an act of worship unto Him?
- Do we realize that our offering today give rise to great rejoicing in Him?
As i invite the ushers to pass the offering bags, let us meditate upon His goodness and our response to His goodness.
Once again, on behalf of CLIC, i would like to extend a very warm welcome to all members and visitors this morning. For those who are visiting us for the first time, could you please raise your hand so that ushers can give you some free gifts. Now i am sure you loved free gifts.
- Quarterly Ministry Team Meeting today at 1:30pm. All ministry leaders are required to attend.
- Foundation class today from 1pm to 4pm upstairs. Don’t miss out as we have our very own in-house Christian expert instructor, Cecil Roche, who will be conducting the class. There is no typo error – it IS indeed a condensed session where ALL the basic foundation themes will be covered in this one session.
- Our mission focus for quarter ended July 2014 will be on Vietnam and Nepal. The mission strategy that we employ is that of a partnership structure. CLIC partners with local church in its mission strategy and implementation. This positions us with a level playing field where we can extend our evangelical arms more efficiently and effectively. Our mission newsletter will give you the latest update on the mission work done where you will get to see first-hand! So don’t miss out on our newsletter archives which we have on our website at clichurch.com. You may also sign up for our newsletter via the website or contacting Grace Lam directly.
Experience the Watoto Children’s Choir from Uganda, East Africa as they bring us an electrifying performance with engaging dance moves and audio-visual effects. It tells of inspirational true life stories of triumph over tragedy. The choir has travelled internationally since 1994 as advocates for the 47.5 million children in Africa, who are orphaned as a result of HIV/AIDS, war, poverty and human trafficking. It is an event not to be missed!
- Flyers are in your bulletin. For those without a bulletin, please raise your hands so that the ushers can give you the pack.
- This is an evangelistic event where we want to encourage our unsaved families and friends to attend this event. If you need more flyers, please collect them from the ushering team.
- The concert is FREE ADMISSION. Everyone loves free things, don’t they. However as seats are limited, we will have a ticketing system to monitor seating attendance. Stay tuned for more details!
Monthly Prayer Meeting
We also have our monthly prayer meeting for May 2014 which will be held on the 23th May Friday at 8pm! Venue will be at CLIC Church where we want to continue to encourage all members to come together to pray for one another. Let us be constantly reminded that we are a body of Christ and by praying as a corporate, we can touch Heaven and Earth through HIM!